05 February 2007

Tail of Devotion for Keiser


Keiser (photo taken on 1 January 2007)

Keiser managed to soften her way into just about everybody's hearts, especially those who came to visit and could not turn her away when she insisted on laying on their lap.

She demanded attention and always received it. Who could ignore her soft little meows and pretty face?

Her typical work day routine was:
- Wake me by sitting up in bed and politely meowing
- Before anything else was done, Keiser would have her breakfast
- During my shower, she would come in and sit on the bath mat chatting away, when I finished, she would hop in and have a licks of the water in the tub
- When I made my lunch for work, she would sit on the floor beside me waiting on her treat which was cheese, or ham, or something leftover
- Before I left for work, I would ensure she was settled on the couch and I would kiss her on the forehead
- When I came home from work, she would be waiting for me near the front door and we would have a chat about how her day was
- We would have a cuddle then she would have her dinner (she became a grazing eater)
- When I ate my dinner, she would want more of her dinner
- In the evening she would lie on my lap on the couch while we watch TV or use the laptop, and if it was too warm, nap in her soft basket next to me (I was always stroking and patting her)
- At bedtime, she would follow me in and then hop up on the bed. I would ask her if she had a good day and we would review the activities of that day.

She adored her weekends when I usually spent most of the day with her:
- She really liked me having a daytime nap on the couch and she would hop up and lay next to me
- We sometimes watched a DVD together with her on my lap.

Keiser's favourite things included:
- nice long brushes of her fur
- hearing her name being said (and even sung in a song)
- laying on laps, especially outstretched on a sofa
- being cuddled and hugged
- have a bristly chin rub against her forehead
- head and shoulder massages
- cheese
- potato chips
- ham
- red meat, especially beef and lamb, preferable rare (sadly she was no longer allowed these due to an allergy)
- chicken wings (again, she was no longer allowed bones as she could not digest them)
- having her head cradled by an arm and being cuddled laying on the couch
- playing with her ping pong balls (again, not after her heart murmur was diagnosed)
- having her human friends (and even strangers) visit so she could lay on their laps (she also made it known that was what she demanded by telling them as soon as they walked in the door)
- her football team, the Brisbane Lions, of which she was a paid up member
- her cat scratcher and she always sharpened her claws before bedtime
- looking out of the windows
- getting under the covers during winter for a cuddle

She listened to any type of music I put on, and on the rare occasion, made it known that it was not to her taste (I would have to apologise and turn it off).

Keiser was very unique with one of the best personalities for a cat. She lived a long and mostly pain free life and had the opportunity to taste most (allowable) foods. I will miss her very much.

Rest in peace my sweet princess. You were the best.

9 comments:

mister jeter harris, hizself said...

Beautiful Daniel.
We miss her.
Love--Roberta and JH

Anonymous said...

Very nicely written. I knew her a bit more after reading it. She is missed.
Love, Rene, Doug, Jack Jack & Shamus

Miss_K said...

Even though I never had the pleasure of meeting her in person, Keiser felt like a member of our family. Her lovely email conversations with Sir Nick were always fun, and her blog always interesting.

I know it may sound crazy, but I take comfort in knowing that sweet Keiser and the handsome kittyboy have finally got to meet each other. They are probably comparing notes right now. Bless.

Anonymous said...

Very sad and sorry to hear the news over the weekend.

Like MK, there is maybe comfort to be had by the thought that Sir Nick was there to greet Keiser and graciously show her the delights that are available on the other side of the rainbow bridge.

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to meet Keiser a few times and from the first day I met her, I knew she was a very happy cat. She was so lovely to me, very happy to share her lounge with me and very personable. I always enjoyed her company when I would visit and always loved how sociable she could be. We will miss you Keiser, I'm sure you are at peace.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely and sociable cat Keiser was...we can take comfort that she is now hanging out again with Fatty.
F

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

We didn't know Keiser, but just heard about her from Jeter Harris. After reding this entry, she sounded like a wonderful cat and we wish we had known her.

Tyler said...

We also didn't know Keiser and heard of her from Jeter. Your relationship was a beautiful one. Thank you for sharing.

ACT said...

Thank you Jeter for allowing your other kitty friends to get to know what Keiser was like.