30 March 2007

oh no, we're the 'new yanks'...

Ben Groundwater has written an interesting blog in the travel section of the Sydney Morning Herald - 'New Yanks and jafas: why no one likes Aussies anymore' .
It used to be awesome being an Australian abroad.

When I first started travelling, only about 10 years ago, everyone loved an Aussie. You walked into a pub, someone would hear your accent, and clap you on the shoulder and buy you a drink. "G'day," was an acceptable pick-up line.

You'd find yourself the token conversation piece at get-togethers, where you could persuade people that you wrestled kangaroos for a living. Doors magically opened, hassles were incredibly smoothed over, with the help of an Australian accent.

But it's all gone wrong ...

It seems that too many whining, loud and obnoxious Australians have given us a bad name. Yes, I have seen them in Phuket (Thailand), Vienna (Austria) and elsewhere. They have no respect for local cultures and customs, complain rudely and are obnoxious drunks. I would not normally talk to these people in Australia, so why would I bother in some foreign city?

Now we are considered as ugly as American and German travellers.

***********
I made oven baked Atlantic salmon cutlets (farmed in Tasmania) for dinner, with couscous, butter beans and baby squash. Nice.

The football season returns this weekend. Woohoo! Tonight, there is a delayed (by one hour) telecast of the Melbourne versus St Kilda match which I am watching on free to air TV. Tomorrow, I will have to find someplace to watch my team's game against Hawthorn which has cable. Bah!

2 comments:

Bogdan, the editor said...

We miss Keiser, too. It's OK though, Daniel. You are not alone.
We agree with Ben's assessment. Not that we cats know first-hand, but we've heard a thing or two about you Aussies!! :P
Salmon cutlets sound grand!!!

-Bogdan, Kat 3 and Sara
... oh, and the investor

ACT said...

Thankfully, I'm one not like them when I travel.