29 April 2007

condensed TV

Reader's Digest is known for their condensed books. People actually read them if they don't have time or patience for the real book. This is a shame really, as writers go to a lot of effort in writing their books.

If people will actually read condensed books, maybe they might watch condensed TV. Those 1-2 minute recaps of the previous episode is always a good summary. What if someone didn't have time for the entire show? They could watch a whole season of a show in under 30 minutes.

****************

I had a great time in Melbourne from Tuesday night until this (Sunday) morning. It was a great footy weekend, along with catching up with friends.

On Wednesday morning, Michelle and I went to Windy Hill, the home of Essendon Football Club. We happened to bump into Matthew Lloyd (the captain) and I had a quick word with him. Then Michelle left me to go to the Anzac Day match between Collingwood and Essendon at the MCG, by myself (she didn't want to come to the game). Collingwood won by 16 points. Not a good result. I left just before the final quarter to try and beat some of the other 90,507 people leaving around the same time.


I was on level 4 but towards the bottom. It was still very high up.

On Thursday I went to my (Brisbane Lions) club's base in Melbourne and then had a long lunch at the Turf Bar with two other fanatical Lions supporters. In the evening, Michelle and I went to her friend Callie's place. I was honoured to witness a female ritual involving clothing. Not something I would wish to see again though.

On Friday I went to see my team train at the grounds opposite their hotel. It was great to see the boys fully fit and confident. Great ball skills. I had a chat to some of the players (there is a regular handful with whom I speak and maintain contact).

That night, Leah and I went to dinner at Bedis Restaurant for excellent Indian cuisine. Then we walked to Southbank to check out the foyer of the Eureka Tower, before going to Malthouse Theatre for The Receipt, a show in the Melbourne International Comedy Festival.

Saturday was the pièce de résistance. I enjoy going to the South Melbourne markets with Leah on Saturday mornings. We also checked out Great Dane Furniture which is full of furniture by Danish designers such as Hans Wegner.

Before the football game between Brisbane Lions and Carlton Blues, Leah and I met with Paul and Tim (with whom I had lunch on Thursday) for drinks before heading to the game.

It was a great game of footy too!

Afterwards, Tim, Paul and I went to the players' room (Leah went home). It was unbelievable and I had a few chats with my regular players
. Not only watching a winning game, but being in contact with my players was a real highlight.

Not only that, one of the players was on my flight home this morning (passing through on the way home to Brisbane), though I didn't realise until he collected his bags.

Enough football to keep me going until round 8 in three weeks time!

1 comment:

mister jeter harris, hizself said...

deer daniel,
indian cuizeen?
did u hav sum vin-da-loo?
mi teem won yesturday ... but lost today. dey are in las place in dere leeg ... but it'z still earlee in da seezun.
da yankeez hav a big rivalree wid da boston red sox ... an da sox won 2 uv da 3 gamez played in noo york. disturbin.
luv--yer grate frend--jh