08 April 2007

Whatev-ah


Whatev-ah (what ever) means "I don't care", but also "this is the end of the conversation" or "say what you want, I've got no position on this subject".

It is used to express indifference. According to linguist Tony Thorne and the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), it has been used since the seventies:
1973: Meaning "that's what I meant", US Secretary of Defense briefing paper for returning POWs
1982: Meaning "you decide", San Francisco Examiner
1980s: Used regularly by California "valley girls" (eg film Clueless)
1986: "Whatever man, whatever", in film Platoon
1990s: Used by the Jerry Springer crowd
Late 1990s: Reaches UK's rich female teenagers
Early 2000s: UK street language
2003: Little Britain's first TV series
Teachers in the UK are now fighting back by asking students to explain what they mean.

See - BBC News

Whatev-ah... or is that 'meh'?

**************************

Today was an eventful day. This morning Mary came over and I helped her to bring over some turf that she had dug out from her new place. Afterwards, I took Kane for a walk to visit Kettles, that white cat a few streets away. Her people are away, so I checked on and fed her.

Around midday, I took Kane for a walk to the markets and bought some sausage mince (from a regular butcher, the organic butcher was closed), and a beef bone for Kane.

Sue D came over before 2pm. The frozen puff pastry was unusable (dry) so I mixed the sausage mince with a red curry paste and chopped spring onions (scallions), put them on sliced sour dough bread and baked them.

Then we watched an incredibly good football game between Essendon and Fremantle while Kane had his bone.



After the game and Sue D departed, I took Kane to the school oval. Jake was there playing with a ball with his person's daughter. They didn't stay long. I kicked a football a few times to Kane, but he just wagged his tail.

There was a great program on TV tonight called My Family and Other Animals about Gerald Durrell's childhood on the Greek Island of Corfu. Thoroughly recommended.

The cast of My Family and Other Animals
Escaping the dreary wet weather of 1930s England, an eccentric family uproot and ship themselves to the sunnier climes of the Greek island of Corfu.

http://www.shoarns.com/My%20Family%20&%20Other%20Animals%20RT%20P1%202005%20red%20comp%20small.JPG
A totally eccentric and cool family

No comments: