30 April 2008

fashion faux pas

It is Fashion Week in Australia. Designer Kate Sylvester (from New Zealand) committed a major fashion faux pas by having her models wear replica war medals.





See
- The Age
- New Zealand Herald
- LIVENEWS
- ABC News and again

Naturally, our main veterans organisation in Australia, the Returned and Services League (RSL) is very upset. Only those who have earned such medals by their courage, bravery and sacrifice are entitled to wear them. Using them as a fashion statement trivialises such awards.

Even teenagers wear khaki, dog tags etc as a fashion statement, romanticising the military and no doubt wanting to enlist when they are older. From what I have seen of them, there is no chance that they would be accepted for enlistment.

When I finished my period of service many years ago, I returned my uniforms, boots, shoes etc, but kept my slouch hat and beret. I also had a few green t-shirts with the Australian Army logo on it. I got rid of those. Certainly not a fashion item, but part of our uniform, worn during physical training (PT).

******************
Emily came around for dinner and I made a simple pasta of beetroot and spinach tagliatelle dressed with cherry tomatoes, basil and proscuitto.

No comments: