04 May 2008

renaming my mouse

I use the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse both at work and at home. It is a more ergonomic shape which I find easier to handle.



The device was invented by Douglas Engelbart in 1964 whose group at SRI nicknamed it the mouse.
Nobody among his colleagues seems to remember who first nicknamed the device, but all agree that the name was given because the cord ('tail') initially came out the 'back' of the device.

'Very soon we realised that the connecting wire should be brought out the "front" instead of the back,' Engelbart notes, but by then the name had stuck."
I have decided to rename my remote tool computer device from mouse to turtle. This is less to do with the shape and more to do with the characteristics such as centre of gravity of the device.

****************
Today was a Kane Day. I meant to do some tidying and house cleaning, but didn't. Okay, I didn't mean to do any of that. There is always next weekend.

No comments: