21 June 2008

some national anthems

It is about time I become familiar with the New Zealand national anthem, after all, they are our nearest neighbour.


and begins in the Maori language

Here is the correct German one


Nothing beats the French


Not surprisingly, Australians are not particularly attached to our own - meh


Hungary


Expect to hear this one a lot in August at the Beijing Olympics


The Danish one is quite nice.


The best national anthems are the old European ones, written by classical musicians.

********************
Today was nearly a lazy day. It was good to be home for the weekend, after being away for the last three. Kane certainly thought so.

I finally did some house cleaning and tidying up in the early afternoon, although most of the tidying involved relocating stuff out of the living area.

Kane's family came over for dinner tonight, as Liz and Bill are visiting from the US. I made coq au vin (Italian style - using Sangiovese wine, porchini and chestnuts) for dinner, served with polenta and brussels sprouts. Kane had cooked gemfish for dinner (I had the other half for dinner last night).

2 comments:

Bogdan, the editor said...

Those national anthems are way too long. And The Morning Scratch isn't mentioned in any of them.

Can you send some gemfish this way? I don't know what it is, but it sounds right up my alley. I do like fish.

"Hey Investor, get out my finest bowl! And go get me some gemfish."

ACT said...

Hmmmm... gemfish. Such a lovely firm tasty fish.