17 February 2008

pinot grigio/gris is a dumb blonde

According to Tim Atkin writing in The Observer magazine, Pinot Grigio (also called Pinot Gris) is palate-numbing
Dumb blonde

For two years, Tim Atkin has been campaigning against Pinot Grigio. Here he reveals his alternatives to the ubiquitous white

Tim Atkin
Sunday February 17, 2008
Observer

Have you ever felt like Sisyphus, pushing a metaphorical boulder up a slope only to watch it roll back past you, narrowly missing your toes in the process? For Sisyphus and that boulder, read me and Pinot Grigio. I've been conducting a none-too-subtle, one-man campaign against this innocuous but generally palate-numbing Italian white for more than two years now. And guess what? Pinot Grigio sales have gone through the ceiling. There is even talk of a shortage...

The problem with Pinot Grigio's success is that it stops people trying other, infinitely superior varieties. Leaving aside Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, which are just as popular as Pinot Grigio and much more diverse, my by no means exhaustive list would include, in alphabetical order: Albariño, Chenin Blanc, Fiano, Grenache Blanc, Marsanne, Picpoul, Riesling, Roussanne, Scheurebe, Verdejo, Vermentino and Viognier.
I totally agree. My friend Margaret used to rave about Pinot Gris but I thought it was tasteless and with no redeemable features. Amazingly, she dislikes the Sauvignon Blanc Semillon blends, which I consider a suitable match with most food. Thankfully Margaret is into Viognier now. Tim Atkins of The Observer seems to be really into the Marsanne (click on link above).

Personally, I still prefer Reisling for a white for its complexity and a good Pinot Noir for a red.

*******************
I didn't do much today, aside from giving the floor a quick clean and clearing the backyard.

I watched last night's football game (always critically and analytically which requires concentration) and the latest Smallville.

Clark is actually inside Lex's memory, observing the meeting with Lois


Kara (cousin of Kal El) has finally been found


I definitely watch too much television. Thankfully, I'm still reading books at the same time.

And the rest of Sunday night viewing include the BBC's Robin Hood, and the American Brothers and Sisters. Both quite quirky and make me laugh.

No comments: