04 June 2008

Alma or Arthur

Tropical cyclones (also called typhoons or hurricanes) have localised names. From Scientific American

If one is born in the Atlantic Ocean or east of the international date line in the Pacific, it is called a hurricane; in the northwest Pacific, a typhoon; in the southwest Pacific and southeastern Indian oceans, such a storm is dubbed a severe tropical cyclone; in the north Indian, a severe cyclonic storm; and in the southwest Indian, a tropical cyclone.
Alma, which began in the Pacific, was renamed Arthur after the weakened storm crossed into the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean and grew.

**********
I spent Monday and Tuesday at the football club. Nothing terribly exciting. Crazy fans may think working at the club is glamorous, but it is not.

Today I had the day off from the football club office. I had lunch with my friend Lesa where she works, way down the south side of Brisbane, which isn't even Brisbane anymore, but Logan City.

Afterwards I went to the Gabba to check out Wednesday training and then helped The Brits (a devoted supporters group of our club) serve up dinner to our players and trainers. I enjoyed dishing it up to them.

Meanwhile, it has been good spending time with my brothers.

I do look forward to returning to Kane though and our lovely walks together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive me if I'm not much interested in football from OZ, it's bad enough I have to put up with the basketball playoffs at the same time the baseball is on continuously in our living room. I wanted to know your take on the Bill Henson witch hunt.

Liz

ACT said...

Some people just don't understand art.