01 June 2008

Vidal on Capote

There is a great article about Gore Vidal, one of the literary giants of our times. Geniuses never seem to get along with other geniuses.

"Capote I truly loathed. The way you might loathe an animal. A filthy animal that has found its way into the house."

"What was Capote doing that you didn't like?" "Lying," Vidal shouts. "The one thing I hate most on this earth. Which is why I do not have a friendly time with journalists."
He would have hated Oscar Wilde too.

******************
I have been having a great time in Brisbane. On Friday, I slept in and then went into the city, firstly to the Queensland Art Gallery. As I left, I asked the guy at the front desk where they hid all their good stuff. I thought I saw three Monet's but they were John Russell's, an Australian impressionst. There was a tiny Rodin and two earlier works of Margaret Preston's. Not even their Indigenous collection had very much.

Later, I met another old college friend, Jon, for dinner dinner at Govinda's, a vegetarian restaurant, which is run by the local Hare Krishna Temple. Good healthy wholesome cheap food. Later we went to the Valley for a few beers. Fortitude Valley is where everybody flocks for a night out in Brisbane.

On Saturday, it was also my birthday. I went to a football game in the afternoon between our reserves team and they won. Must be me bringing luck. Then it was off to The Den, which is our football club's social club for dinner and a drink with other footy-obsessed friends, before heading to the game. My team won! It was the perfect birthday gift. I sat near the interchange bench again.

After the game, I met up with a player friend of mine for a catch up, which was great although I waited nearly two hours as he had physiotherapy. Highly decorated (he has a lot of medals), but a genuine and nice guy.

Today (Sunday) has been a bit more relaxing. My brother Joseph and I went out for laksa for lunch. This evening, my other brother Thomas, and Sarah joined us for dinner at a steak house. I'd been out most nights since I arrived, so it was good to do the family thing.

For the coming week, I will spending the days at my football club helping out.

1 comment:

Miss_K said...

Happy (belated) birthday Daniel!